Wednesday 2 March 2011

Useful for myself (5)

Common Phrasal Verbs (E, F & G)

eat out
eat at a restaurant
I don't feel like cooking tonight. Let's eat out.
end up
eventually reach/do/decide
We ended up renting a movie instead of going to the theatre.
fall apart
break into pieces
My new dress fell apart in the washing machine.
fall down
fall to the ground
The picture that you hung up last night fell down this morning.
fall out
separate from an interior
The money must have fallen out of my pocket.
fall out
(of hair, teeth) become loose and unattached
His hair started to fall out when he was only 35.
figure something out
understand, find the answer
I need to figure out how to fit the piano and the bookshelf in this room.
fill something in
to write information in blanks (Br.E.)
Please fill in the form with your name, address, and phone number.
fill something out
to write information in blanks (N.Amer.)
The form must be filled out in capital letters.
fill something up
fill to the top
I always fill the water jug up when it is empty.
find out
discover
We don't know where he lives. How can we find out?
find something out
discover
We tried to keep the time of the party a secret, but Samantha found it out.
get something across/over
communicate, make understandable
I tried to get my point across/over to the judge but she wouldn't listen.
get along/on
like each other
I was surprised how well my new girlfriend and my sister got along/on.
get around
have mobility
My grandfather can get around fine in his new wheelchair.
get away
go on a vacation
We worked so hard this year that we had to get away for a week.
get away with something
do without being noticed or punished
Jason always gets away with cheating in his maths tests.
get back
return
We got back from our vacation last week.
get something back
receive something you had before
Liz finally got her Science notes back from my room-mate.
get back at someone
retaliate, take revenge
My sister got back at me for stealing her shoes. She stole my favourite hat.
get back into something
become interested in something again
I finally got back into my novel and finished it.
get on something
step onto a vehicle
We're going to freeze out here if you don't let us get on the bus.
get over something
recover from an illness, loss, difficulty
I just got over the flu and now my sister has it.
get over something
overcome a problem
The company will have to close if it can't get over the new regulations.
get round to something
finally find time to do (N.Amer.: get around to something)
I don't know when I am going to get round to writing the thank you cards.
get together
meet (usually for social reasons)
Let's get together for a BBQ this weekend.
get up
get out of bed
I got up early today to study for my exam.
get up
stand
You should get up and give the elderly man your seat.
give someone away
reveal hidden information about someone
His wife gave him away to the police.
give someone away
take the bride to the altar
My father gave me away at my wedding.
give something away
ruin a secret
My little sister gave the surprise party away by accident.
give something away
give something to someone for free
The library was giving away old books on Friday.
give something back
return a borrowed item
I have to give these skates back to Franz before his hockey game.
give in
reluctantly stop fighting or arguing
My boyfriend didn't want to go to the ballet, but he finally gave in.
give something out
give to many people (usually at no cost)
They were giving out free perfume samples at the department store.
give something up
quit a habit
I am giving up smoking as of January 1st.
give up
stop trying
My maths homework was too difficult so I gave up.
go after someone
follow someone
My brother tried to go after the thief in his car.
go after something
try to achieve something
I went after my dream and now I am a published writer.
go against someone
compete, oppose
We are going against the best soccer team in the city tonight.
go ahead
start, proceed
Please go ahead and eat before the food gets cold.
go back
return to a place
I have to go back home and get my lunch.
go out
leave home to go on a social event
We're going out for dinner tonight.
go out with someone
date
Jesse has been going out with Luke since they met last winter.
go over something
review
Please go over your answers before you submit your test.
go over
visit someone nearby
I haven't seen Tina for a long time. I think I'll go over for an hour or two.
go without something
suffer lack or deprivation
When I was young, we went without winter boots.
grow apart
stop being friends over time
My best friend and I grew apart after she changed schools.
grow back
regrow
My roses grew back this summer.
grow up
become an adult
When Jack grows up he wants to be a fireman.
grow out of something
get too big for
Elizabeth needs a new pair of shoes because she has grown out of her old ones.
grow into something
grow big enough to fit
This bike is too big for him now, but he should grow into it by next year.


 N.B.. All are completely copied from http://www.englishclub.com thanks to the Team of English Club.
.

No comments: