Wednesday 2 March 2011

Useful for myself (6)

Common Phrasal Verbs (H-P)

hand something down
give something used to someone else
I handed my old comic books down to my little cousin.
hand something in
submit
I have to hand in my essay by Friday.
hand something out
to distribute to a group of people
We will hand out the invitations at the door.
hand something over
give (usually unwillingly)
The police asked the man to hand over his wallet and his weapons.
hang in
stay positive (N.Amer., informal)
Hang in there. I'm sure you'll find a job very soon.
hang on
wait a short time (informal)
Hang on while I grab my coat and shoes!
hang out
spend time relaxing (informal)
Instead of going to the party we are just going to hang out at my place.
hang up
end a phone call
He didn't say goodbye before he hung up.
hold someone/something back
prevent from doing/going
I had to hold my dog back because there was a cat in the park.
hold something back
hide an emotion
Jamie held back his tears at his grandfather's funeral.
hold on
wait a short time
Please hold on while I transfer you to the Sales Department.
hold onto someone/something
hold firmly using your hands or arms
Hold onto your hat because it's very windy outside.
hold someone/somethingup
rob
A man in a black mask held the bank up this morning.
keep on doing something
continue doing
Keep on stirring until the liquid comes to a boil.
keep something from someone
not tell
We kept our relationship from our parents for two years.
keep someone/something out
stop from entering
Try to keep the wet dog out of the living room.
keep something up
continue at the same rate
If you keep those results up you will get into a great college.
let someone down
fail to support or help, disappoint
I need you to be on time. Don't let me down this time.
let someone in
allow to enter
Can you let the cat in before you go to school?
look after someone/something
take care of
I have to look after my sick grandmother.
look down on someone
think less of, consider inferior
Ever since we stole that chocolate bar your dad has looked down on me.
look for someone/something
try to find
I'm looking for a red dress for the wedding.
look forward to something
be excited about the future
I'm looking forward to the Christmas break.
look into something
investigate
We are going to look into the price of snowboards today.
look out
be careful, vigilant, and take notice
Look out! That car's going to hit you!
look out for someone/something
be especially vigilant for
Don't forget to look out for snakes on the hiking trail.
look something over
check, examine
Can you look over my essay for spelling mistakes?
look something up
search and find information in a reference book or database
We can look her phone number up on the Internet.
look up to someone
have a lot of respect for
My little sister has always looked up to me.
make something up
invent, lie about something
Josie made up a story about about why we were late.
make up
forgive each other
We were angry last night, but we made up at breakfast.
make someone up
apply cosmetics to
My sisters made me up for my graduation party.
mix something up
confuse two or more things
I mixed up the twins' names again!
pass away
die
His uncle passed away last night after a long illness.
pass out
faint
It was so hot in the church that an elderly lady passed out.
pass something out
give the same thing to many people
The professor passed the textbooks out before class.
pass something up
decline (usually something good)
I passed up the job because I am afraid of change.
pay someone back
return owed money
Thanks for buying my ticket. I'll pay you back on Friday.
pay for something
be punished for doing something bad
That bully will pay for being mean to my little brother.
pick something out
choose
I picked out three sweaters for you to try on.
point someone/something out
indicate with your finger
I'll point my boyfriend out when he runs by.
put something down
put what you are holding on a surface or floor
You can put the groceries down on the kitchen counter.
put someone down
insult, make someone feel stupid
The students put the substitute teacher down because his pants were too short.
put something off
postpone
We are putting off our trip until January because of the hurricane.
put something out
extinguish
The neighbours put the fire out before the firemen arrived.
put something together
assemble
I have to put the crib together before the baby arrives.
put up with someone/something
tolerate
I don't think I can put up with three small children in the car.
put something on
put clothing/accessories on your body
Don't forget to put on your new earrings for the party.

 N.B.. All are completely copied from http://www.englishclub.com thanks to the Team of English Club.
.

No comments: